For Immediate Release
September 30th - October 3rd
Willowbank is proud to share the details of its 2016 Stonesthrow Stone Festival which will run the weekend of September 30th to October 2nd with additional certification courses on Monday October 3rd. This year’s festival will feature a slate of short courses and lectures on traditional building methods, live music, an artisan market and a dance.
Stonesthrow will kick off with an opening lecture by Dominion Sculptor Phil White on Friday September 30th at 1pm at Willowbank’s lower campus: 5 Walnut Street in Queenston. As Canada's Dominion Sculptor, the only position of its kind worldwide, Phil designs and carves statues, portraits and decorative pieces to commemorate Canada's history, people, events and character on Parliament Hill and other government buildings. He is part of a tradition and an evolution of parliamentary sculpture. Admission is $10, with tickets available at the door.
The opening lecture will be followed by a public dance at 7pm featuring a live local band and local food and drink. Admission is $10 with tickets available at the door.
This year’s stone festival builds upon previous festivals with great short course offerings on topics related to stone and other traditional building methods. This year’s offerings will include:
- Introduction to Dry Stone Walling (2 days) w/ Master wallers Dean McLellan and Phil Dolphin
- Introduction to Stone Carving (1 day) w/ Danny Barber of Smith and Barber Atelier
- Advanced Stone Carving (2 days) w/ Nicholas Fairplay, Master Stone Carver
- Introduction to Plastering (1 day) w/ Johnny Doran of Acanthus Heritage Plastering
- Historic Mortars and Lime Burn (2 days) w/ Keith Blades, Stone Conservationist
- Introduction to Blacksmithing (1 day) w/ Lloyd Johnston, 5th generation Blacksmith
For those who are looking to gain their UK Certifications in dry stone walling, Monday October 3rd will feature both Level 1 and Level 2 certifications by Dean McLellan and Phil Dolphin.
Not interested in short courses?
Come and take a wander about our historic campus on Saturday, October 1st and enjoy an artisan market and an open air musical line up along with food trucks and craft beer. For more information or to register for a short course please visit our website at stonesthrow.willowbank.ca